This chicken-rice combination is one of the most requested chicken recipes. It's a snap to assemble using a boxed rice mix, plus it's low in calories.
Invite a couple of friends over for this delicious meal.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can reduced fat reduced sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 6 (4 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- In a bowl, combine rice mix with contents of seasoning packet, carrots, peas and water chestnuts. Combine water and soup; pour over rice mixture and mix well. Transfer to a shallow 3-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with paprika and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken and garlic in oil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange chicken over rice mixture. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and rice is tender.
Footnotes - Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals 314 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable